Monday, February 21, 2011

How Should the Bengals React to Carson Palmer's Trade Demands?

Once upon a time, a man named Carson Palmer was drafted first overall by a struggling NFL franchise. Two years later, Palmer led the team to its first playoff appearance in the past fifteen years. Palmer got hurt on the opening drive and has not appeared to be the same since. That was six years ago and now it seems Palmer is frustrated with the Cincinnati Bengals and the way Mike Brown manages operations. Mike Brown is the owner of the Bengals, but also the general manager. Recently, Carson Palmer and his agent David Dunn came to a conclusion that both sides would be better off cutting ties, as Palmer demanded a trade. If Carson does not get traded he will consider retirement. With that said if I’m Mike Brown and my franchise passer is demanding a trade and he truly wants to leave, I would trade him. If my wife comes up to me and says I don’t want to be with you anymore and I do everything I can to keep her, but she still does not want to be with me I would not hold onto her. The same logic would work here. Mike Brown has sat down with Carson, fired his offensive coordinator and Carson has not budged on his trade demands. With that said, after the new Collective Bargaining Agreement is signed Mike Brown SHOULD trade Carson Palmer and here is why: If the staple of your franchise wants out, then how much respect do you think Carson will have on a team that will probably struggle some this year? The blue-collar guys will feel betrayed and have probably lost some respect for him even though they would deny it. Lets say respect is not an issue and it will not affect any of Palmer’s teammates. What has Carson Palmer done lately? He is not a pro bowler; he is more of an average mid-level NFL quarterback. There are plenty of teams that need quarterbacks this year and one of these teams is bound to give up a first rounder for Palmer. I think Seattle is the team most likely to trade a first rounder for Palmer. Many of you heard or read the report by CBS Analyst Solomon Wilcots on what he thought was in the best interest of the Bengals. It would probably benefit the Bengals if they got rid of Palmer and our 4th overall pick and received two late first round picks and Kevin Kolb. But, I do not completely agree with the deal. If I were Mike Brown I would trade Carson Palmer to any team that is giving me a first rounder. I would in turn, take that first rounder and send it to Philadelphia for Kevin Kolb as long as they were willing to make the trade. If not, I would also trade Chad Ochocinco for a second or third round pick. I would hold onto that pick and add a fourth rounder for Kolb, but that would be the highest offer I would make. Then, I would use the fourth pick overall on a man who some are calling the next Calvin Johnson. A.J. Green, the wide receiver out of Georgia is who I would take to give Kolb a target for many years to come. Brown could address the offensive and defensive line needs, along with safety needs with the Bengals second and third round selections. To me this is an obvious solution where Mike Brown can rebuild the Bengals overnight and contend for a division title or wild card berth right away. The problem is that Mike Brown is probably not on the same page. Only time will tell, but hopefully Mike Brown wakes up and makes these changes for the good of the franchise and for the city of Cincinnati.

No comments:

Post a Comment