2.Kansas, Ohio State and Duke were not lightyears better than their competition like some though (including me) and this year was truly a year of parity.
3. For the first time in my life, I do not have a team that I picked in the Final Four.
4. Shaka Smart is not just a name, but a way of life. Did you hear his pregame speech before VCU beat Kansas? Goosebumps anyone?
5. Kentucky Guard Brandon Knight is deadly in crunch time (maybe the Miami Heat should draft him).
6. How has VCU turned into this deadly three-point shooting team in the tournament? They've made 12 three-point baskets in three games of this tournament. They did not do it once during the regular season.
7. Head Coach of the Butler Bulldogs Brad Stevens (34) and Shaka Smart (33) are very young coaches leading their respective teams to the Final Four. In fact, UConn coach Jim Calhoun is 68 years old, which means he is older than Stevens and Smart combined.
8. Kentucky is the favorite going into next weekend. I'm not so sure that is a title I want to have going into the last week of the tournament this year.
9. This is the first time that there was not a 1 or 2 seed in the Final Four. It is only the third time that an 11 seed made the Final Four (the other two being George Mason in 2006 and LSU in 1986).
10. Not that it is safe to make picks, but if I were, I would pick Butler over VCU and Kentucky over UConn. Butler has been there before and Head Coach Brad Stevens is a genius. Kentucky has good guards that can contend with UConn's Kemba Walker and they have a big man named John Harrellson who is aggressive in the middle.
National Champion: Kentucky. I just cannot see anyone stopping the Wildcats' guards and post game. It will be close though because Brad Stevens is a great tactician, but Kentucky should be National Champions seven days from now.
|Terrence Jones (3), Brandon Knight (12) and Josh Harrellson (55) have |
a good chance to walk away with Championships this Season.